Re: Fwd: gcc does not honor -fno-leading-underscore flag?

Brian Dessent wrote:
san.temporal@gmail.com wrote:

I do not know how to get rid of the leading underscores in Cygwin. I
have other sources compiled in Linux, and they do not have a leading
underscore added.

As I understand it, the -fleading-underscore flag is only useful to add
a leading underscore for targets that do not have a leading underscore,
like linux. It won't accomplish anything on one that already has it,
like PE.
You may be right. But then this is strange for me. I would guess that either -fleading-underscore or -fno-leading-underscore do something, but not both doing nothing. So if a target does have a leading underscore and then -fleading-underscore does nothing on it (according to what you say), then I would expect -fno-leading-underscore removing the underscore.

Now my problem is that I have a library with symbol names without a
leading underscore. Although the library is for Linux (I do not have a
version specific for Cygwin, which would be the ideal solution, and I
do not think that I could get it; I don't have the sources), I expect
it to work under Cygwin (or at least give it a try), if only I could
get my objects to link with its symbols. Even if I am trying to mix
objects for different platforms, I guess that there should be a chance
to do it by appropriate configuration. The flag
-fno-leading-underscore seemed to be the answer, but it did not work
for me.

There is absolutely no way that you can use an object compiled for Linux
with Cygwin. The fact that symbols don't have a leading underscore is
trivial compared to the massive differences between ELF and PE formats. There is just no chance of this working even if you solved the
underscore issue.
I suspected this, but I was not sure. I do not know what is ELF and PE... I though about trying since I have Windows apps that work on Cygwin, but possibly they are much more similar.

Thanks a lot.

Santiago

Brian