Re: Subversion problems with "svn switch", "svn co", "svn switch", because of 'wrong' permissions in .svn/ directories

On Mon, Apr 21, 2008 at 11:35:51AM +0100, Dave Korn wrote:
> > * On Sat, Apr 19, 2008 at 06:59:56PM +0200 I wrote:
> >> Ok, here is the description: Sometimes (!) when I do a "svn co" or "svn
> >> up", I get the following error:
> >>
> >> svn: Can't move 'src/arch/riscos/.svn/tmp/all-wcprops' to
> > 'src/arch/riscos/.svn/all-wcprops': Permission denied
> >
> > It is a problem of my Anti-Virus solution. So, I have already contacted
> > the company which develops it.
>
>   Ah, this problem happens sometimes: the anti-virus on-access scanner keeps a
> handle open to the file a bit too long, interfering with normal operations
> that require unshared access.

I gather that this issue has been brought up several times over the
last few years already but nothing has been done about it other than
to say "disable your virus checker/indexing service".

Why doesn't the Cygwin SVN build simply just #define WIN32 (or
whatever it takes) so the code which is _already in SVN_ to work
around this problem is actually used to fix the issue? I have not
seen anyone give a reason as to why this shouldn't be done. (If
there is, please feel free to flame me :)

I work with a repository of about 2GB and nearly a hundred thousand
files. I have never been able to check this out with Cygwin SVN
without it failing - company policy does not allow disabling of
virus checkers (as does the lack of admin rights). The only reliable
workaround I have found is to:

  (a) check it out with WinSVN (the Win32 build of SVN) - this
      always works flawlessly, but creates non-Cygwin symlinks;

  (b) go through and remove the symlinks in Cygwin:
         svn status | awk '/^~/ {print $2}' | xargs rm -f

  (c) svn update in Cygwin to restore the small handful of symlinks
      in Cygwin-style symlinks

taking about twice as long.  It would be much easier if the SVN
binary in Cygwin would DTRT in the first place.

Is there a showstopping reason why this can't be done? I would be
more than happy to test it out :)

Cheers,
Bernard.