Re: how to change dir

On Tue, May 06, 2008 at 01:32:47PM -0400, Lee D. Rothstein wrote:
> Christopher Faylor wrote:
>> On Mon, May 05, 2008 at 08:13:27PM -0400, Lee D. Rothstein wrote:
>>
>>>cd 'x:\any windows\path will also\work'
>
>>Note that this will give you a warning in Cygwin 1.7 since you are
>>using non-POSIX path names.
>
>I do hope there will be an option with an alternative environment
>variable setting that will direct the warning to /dev/null ?

You could try it and see:
http://cygwin.com/snapshots/

>The credo of Cygwin, it seems to me, has always been:
>
>Give Windoze users a shot at the richness and wisdom of GNU/UNIX
>without making their lives any more miserable than MBRH (Mr.  Bill and
>the Redmond Hordes) has already done.

Cygwin's goals are more-or-less summarized in the first few sentences on
the web site.

While it may be possible now to use Cygwin without understanding what
POSIX paths are or what Linux is, it is not a primary goal of the
project to make MS-DOS path names work transparently.  The fact that
they do work in most cases is fortunate but it is not a primary goal.
And, in many cases people get into trouble using MS-DOS paths because
they don't understand that the tools prefer POSIX.

cgf