RE: Feature request: rm to recycle bin

Stephen Kennedy wrote on Saturday, May 10, 2008 7:50 AM:

> I've searched the mailing list so believe this isn't a FAQ; apologies
> if it is.
>
> There have been several threads on the mailing list about replicating
> Windows' recycle bin functionality using aliases or shell functions,
> none of which are really satisfactory. However, in this thread
> http://sourceware.org/ml/cygwin/2007-01/msg00327.html it was
> discussed that 'rm' has been patched to send deleted files to the
> recycle bin in certain limited circumstances.
>
> Given that the code for sending to recycle bin is already in place,
> may I request that a command line option be added to rm and rmdir to
> send all files to the bin? This would be extremely handy for use in
> scripts, to me at the very least.
>
> While I'm here please let me thank you very much for providing such an
> *awesome* set of tools.
>
> Steve

What you might consider is finding a Windows command line utility that
does what you want and put a cygwin wrapper around it.  One that I know
of can be found here: <http://www.maddogsw.com/cmdutils/>.  NOTE:  I do
not actually use <recycle.exe>, so this is a suggestion, not a
recommendation.  Note also that this utility is GPLed (ver. 2).

This wrapper should work.  (Again, not tested.)  I make no
representation that it is bug-free.

	#!/bin/sh
	if [ "$1" = '--help' -o $# = 0 ]
	then
		echo Usage: $(realpath "$0") [OPTION]... FILE...
		echo Send the FILE(s) to the Windows Recycle Bin.
		echo '	-i	prompt before every removal'
		echo '	--help	display this help and exit'
		exit
	fi
	FORCE='-f'
	if [ "$1" = '-i' ]
	then
		FORCE=''
		shift
	fi
	for F in $@
	do
		if [ -f "$F" ]
		then
			path/recycle ${FORCE} "$(cygpath -w "$F")"
		else
			echo $(basename "$0": \`$F\' not found.
		fi
	done