Re: wstring support in GCC 4.1.2 in Cygwin 1.5.25-11

jadooo wrote:

> Please let me know if I am doing anything wrong.

Yes, you are misunderstanding the nature of the problem.

In order to support the wstring class, gcc relies on the platform's libc
supporting wide character C99 functions.  newlib does not have the
necessary support[1] so until that work is contributed, the wstring
class cannot be enabled in libstdc++.  And even then, you'd have to
rebuild libstdc++ which means rebuilding all of gcc.

Cygwin 1.7 currently contains support for unicode characters in
filenames, but this is a far cry from general wide character string
support (e.g. wprintf) so simply upgrading to 1.7 will not do anything.
Larry's suggestion that this will start working in 1.7 is premature,
unless somebody contributes the necessary newlib improvements before 1.7
is released.

Brian

[1] For a list of the missing features see
http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-developers/2008-04/msg00094.html