RE: _pinfo::dup_proc_pipe: DuplicateHandle failed

On Wed, 21 May 2008, Relson, David wrote:

> Hi Hugh,
>
> I'm not an expert (else I'd solve this myself), but it seems not to be a

when it comes to windows, neither am I, but since nobody else is coming
in on this thread I'll see if I can get you any further forward.

> problem with make, but a general problem in duplicating handles for
> subprocesses.  To test that, I entered a classic "Hello World" program
> and created a 2 line script named hello.sh to build it:
>
> relsondt1--> cat ./hello.sh
> #!/bin/sh -x
> Bcc +BccDos.cfg -c -Ic:/BC45/INCLUDE -D -oHELLO.OBJ HELLO.CPP

This is the sort of narrowing down that helps.

> relsondt1--> ./hello.sh
> + Bcc +BccDos.cfg -c -Ic:/BC45/INCLUDE -D -oHELLO.OBJ HELLO.CPP
>   7 [main] bash 5564! _pinfo::dup_proc_pipe: DuplicateHandle failed, \
>     pid   5564, hProcess 0x6DD, wr_proc_pipe 0x750, Win32 error 6

That Win32 error looks more like it is to do with Windows than Cygwin
per se.   So what is "Win32 error 6" (apart from a very unintuitive
error message?  Google points me at various things, including this:

http://www.freeerrorscan.net/landing/error/error-6.php?t202kw=error%206&m=p&c=3&lpip=538&gclid=CKrViK32uZMCFQ88QwodgQR3DA

which says there are problems with your registry if you get this.
I'm not in a position to give advice on how to fix this.  I don't
really know what the best cleanup programs are or how to test their
trustworthiness.  But  I'd like to know.  Also, I don't know whether
to trust that source as being accurate.

> Borland C++ 4.52 Copyright (c) 1987, 1994 Borland International
> hello.cpp:
> Warning hello.cpp 8: Parameter 'argc' is never used in function \
>    main(int,char * *)
> Warning hello.cpp 8: Parameter 'argv' is never used in function \
>    main(int,char * *)
>
> As can be seen, the message is displayed _and_ the compiler is run.

this would seem to fit with the hypothesis that this is something amiss
which is not directly related to Cygwin or your program, because the script
does its job.  But I wouldn't say it counts as proof.

> Note that I've used " \" and indentation to indicate wrapped/continued
> lines.
>
> HTH,
>
> David

        Hugh