Re: MS or cygwin dll debug tools/ was "sys/sockio.h" etc.

On Wed, May 28, 2008 at 12:47:44PM -0700, Brian Dessent wrote:
>Mike Marchywka wrote:
>
>> (gdb) b *0x0401000
>> Breakpoint 1 at 0x401000
>> (gdb) run
>> Starting program: /cygdrive/e/new/temp/nmap/src3/nmap-4.62/a.exe

>> Program exited with code 0200.
>> You can't do that without a process to debug.
>> (gdb)
>
>The fact that it never actually begins execution therefore implies that
>it encounters a fault by the OS loader during process initialization,
>such as the "const data in .rdata needing relocation due to
>auto-imports" situation.  I bet that if you invoke it via strace or
>from a native command prompt (not bash) you will see a dialog box
>explaining the fault since the "SetErrorMode (SEM_FAILCRITICALERRORS)"
>stuff won't be active.

Aren't we still talking about using msvcrt and cygwin1 in the same
application where something like a SIGSEGV prior to initialization would
be the expected consequences of mixing the two dlls?

I'd think it likely that either msvcrt or cygwin1.dll to become confused
during dll initialization if one or the other was present.

cgf