Setup properly logged me in and starts session; all subsequent cygwin.bat invocations just start bash

===================================
More info: I echoed the shell and path variables.  The
shell is not set to /bin/bash, but to /bin/sh.  Neither
are the cygwin required directories prepended to the
windows directories, just the windows path.:

bash-3.2$ echo $SHELL
/bin/sh
bash-3.2$ echo $path

bash-3.2$ echo $PATH
/cygdrive/c/WINDOWS/system32:/cygdrive/c/WINDOWS:/cygdr
ive/c/WINDOWS/system32/wbem:/cygdrive/c/Program
Files/Support Tools:/cygdrive/c/Program Files/Microsoft
SQL Server/90/Tools/binn:/cygdrive/c/Program
Files/Microsoft Visual Studio
8/Common7/IDE/PrivateAssemblies
:/cygdrive/c/Program Files/Microsoft SQL
Server/90/DTS/Binn:/cygdrive/c/Program Files/Microsoft
SQL
Server/90/Tools/Binn/VSShell/Common7/IDE:/cygdrive/c/Pr
ogram Files/QuickTime/QTSystem
bash-3.2$
======================================
Probably a very simple fix.
I downloaded cygwin, via setup so that I could use
fontforge.
The setup ran through, then started up the environment
to log me in, where I was able to start the x11
environment. I got the fontforge installed at this
point then closed out the cygwin to return to it later.
	I think there might be some permissions/
executable attributes/paths that either didn't
take/failed on the setup, since some of the clearly
visible and editable files (one was a .conf file in
cygwin/etc/ I think) the executables are unable to find
these files.
	My XP Pro environment has my profile "home" in
the normal C:/Documents and Settings/Bern windows
folder and wrote the initial .bash_history file there;
yet the skeleton files are written to
M:/./cygwin/home/Bern.  [They're not on the same drive,
but I have admin rights and can access them, so my
executing cygwin should work there too.]

However, on every call after that, executing cygwin.bat
(the "bash --login -i")  merely opens the bash without
logging in.  BASH startup is supposed to execute the
/etc/profile and my ~/.profile, but neither of these
are in the execution list; I ran "bash --login -i -x"
and it lists only the non-interactive RC files, leading
me to believe the interactive nature is lost is some
fashion.  But I think some of the XP /MS Security
access rights across the directories might be part of
it as well.

M:\FontForge\cygwin\bin>bash --login -i -x
Yields:
+ '[' -e /etc/bash.bashrc ']'
+ '[' -e '/cygdrive/c/Documents and
Settings/Bern/.bashrc' ']'
+ source '/cygdrive/c/Documents and
Settings/Bern/.bashrc'

Very confusing, I didn't do anything "off the page"
just what the setup asked and what the fontforge
install steps asked, which were simple and not
cygwin-environment.
What could I show you that might open up  a clue to
what I need to fix

Bernie