Re: how can I stop Windows setting HOME?

2008/6/6 Adam Thompson <adwulf@gmail.com>:
> 2008/6/6 anadem <anadem@gmail.com>:
>>
>> Is there any way to permanently unset the HOME env-var in Windows? I could
>> run a batch file at startup but afaik that would not be a systemwide removal
>> of HOME.
>>

> I do not think this is a Windows issue.

Further to this, a quick google reveals:

"The HOME environment variable is used by UNIX shells to determine the
location of your home directory. This environment variable is
converted from the Microsoft Windows format (that is, C:\home\bob) to
UNIX format (that is, /home/bob) when a Cygwin process first starts.
To prevent confusion, ensure that HOME and /etc/passwd agree on your
home directory."

http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/gnupro/GNUPro-Toolkit-03r1/gnupro_8.html

So, it would seem that Cygwin takes the value of (correct me here):

%HOMEDRIVE% + %HOMEPATH%

or more likely (and reliably - remember %HOMESHARE%):

%USERPROFILE%

And imports it to $HOME

Depending on how you launch cygwin, you may be able to start it with a
script or .pif that sets these variables to what you require.

See: http://www.cygwin.com/faq/faq.setup.html#faq.setup.home - which
suggests that HOMEDRIVE and HOMEPATH are used instead of USERPROFILE.

--
AdamT
"At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents