SSHD Problems (Continued)

I still am unable to connect to my external IP address using ssh, but
can connect fine to localhost.

I used netstat to check that sshd is listening:

$ netstat -ba | grep ssh
  TCP    liminal2:ssh           liminal2:0             LISTENING
  3972
    [sshd.exe]

The sshd.log file is empty.

The system event viewer does not list any errors, but does say:

"The following information is part of the event: sshd: PID 2996: Server
listening on 0.0.0.0 port 22."

Any other suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

*  (Thu, 5 Jun 2008 19:38:04 -0400)
> Hi, I'm having problems setting up sshd using cygwin on my windows xp
> machine. I've run out of ideas, so if anyone can suggest
> troubleshooting
> tips or any other kind of help, I'd really appreciate it.
>
> I've installed sshd to run as a windows service. I can ssh to
> localhost
> or 127.0.0.1, but attempts to ssh to my external IP address return
> 'connection refused' error messages. I've tried from a remote machine
> with the same results.
>
> I have tried turning off the windows firewall and connecting the
> computer directly to the modem (to avoid the router), but still get
> the
> same error.
>
> I have Windows XP SP3. I've created a firewall exception for port 22
> and
> forwarded port 22 on the router (but get the same results even without
> these in the picture). I have also tried listing my externalIP address
> as a 'ListenAddress' in the sshd_config file.

Make sure that sshd actually listens on this address (netstat). Also
look into the event logs and /var/log/ssh (or similar).

Thorsten