gpg does not like "e" key

This is really bizarre, even for a crypto related subject. gpg does
not accept the letter "e" in the real name or email address. I don't
know if this is a pure gpg problem or Cygwin related.

$ gpg --gen-key
gpg (GnuPG) 1.4.9; Copyright (C) 2008 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
[snip irrelevant blathering]
Please select what kind of key you want:
   (1) DSA and Elgamal (default)
   (2) DSA (sign only)
   (5) RSA (sign only)
Your selection? 1
DSA keypair will have 1024 bits.
ELG-E keys may be between 1024 and 4096 bits long.
What keysize do you want? (2048)
Requested keysize is 2048 bits
Please specify how long the key should be valid.
         0 = key does not expire
      <n>  = key expires in n days
      <n>w = key expires in n weeks
      <n>m = key expires in n months
      <n>y = key expires in n years
Key is valid for? (0)
Key does not expire at all
Is this correct? (y/N) y

You need a user ID to identify your key; the software constructs the user ID
from the Real Name, Comment and Email Address in this form:
    "Heinrich Heine (Der Dichter) <heinrichh@duesseldorf.de>"

Real name: Gary Jons

Err. What? Where did the "e" in Jones go? It doesn't work. At all.
Even ignoring and continuing, when you get the confirmation of the
data you have entered it is missing the "e" (so it is not something
related to not displaying it just during typing).

The keyboard works fine in normal shell, and is only screwy with gpg.
I've tried this using rxvt and the standard terminal. German language
notebook keyboard and Windows installation.

Someone will probably tell me it is a security feature because e is so
common in the English language ;) Seriously though, can anyone
reproduce or give any advice as to solving or workarounds?

Oh, just for giggles, capital E *does* work.

/wanders off, shaking head