Re: Ugrent !! Reg. Executing the EXE generated by Cygwin

On Fri, Jun 13, 2008 at 07:40:25PM +0000, Lee wrote:
>> There can be only one cygwin1.dll on the machine, put where it's supposed to be
>> by using the Cygwin setup.exe.  You can't just put another copy of cygwin1.dll
>> somewhere else on that machine.
>
>Yes, you can.
>
>http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms682586.aspx
>Dynamic-Link library search order
>   A system can contain multiple versions of the same dynamic-link
>library (DLL).

Wow!

>That said .. wasn't there something recently on this list about not
>being able to find cygwin1.dll using the windows search?  Probably
>either attrib or dir from a command prompt would find it - eg:
>
>C:\>attrib cygwin1.dll /s
>           C:\Cygwin\bin\cygwin1.dll
>           C:\Cygwin\source\tcptrace\cygwin-libs\win9x\cygwin1.dll
>           C:\Cygwin\source\tcptrace\cygwin-libs\winNT\cygwin1.dll
>           C:\Cygwin\source\tcptrace\cygwin-libs\cygwin1.dll
>           C:\MyProgs\John\run\cygwin1.dll
>           C:\MyProgs\TCPtrace\cygwin1.dll
>           C:\MyProgs\win_xplot\bin\win9x\cygwin1.dll
>           C:\MyProgs\win_xplot\bin\winNT\cygwin1.dll
>           C:\UTIL\cygwin1.dll

The fact that you *can* do this doesn't mean that it is a good practice
to do this.  In fact, the error message that started out this thread
clearly showed that there are problems.

We tend to offer unequivocal advice to confused end users who don't
exactly know what they are doing since it is bad practice to advise them
to play with multiple versions of cygwin.  Most of the time they have a
copy on their system that they don't know about and are better off
deleting it.

Trying to instruct someone in the rules involved in dll searches is
not really a fruitful endeavor in the long run.

So, what I'm saying is that go ahead and pat yourself on the back for
figuring out how to use multiple versions of cygwin.  It is still a bad
idea and should not be encouraged for the normal user.
--
Christopher Faylor			spammer? ->	aaaspam@sourceware.org
Cygwin Co-Project Leader