Fwd: md5sum using Cygwin in Windows

Removed my HTML to send this off...

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Ben <ben@pacificu.edu>
Date: Mon, Jun 23, 2008 at 2:14 AM
Subject: md5sum using Cygwin in Windows
To: ubuntu-doc@lists.ubuntu.com, cygwin@cygwin.com

The Ubuntu help says that if you download Cygwin (link:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowToMD5SUM), you can follow the
Linux directions. I'm using the Cygwin shell and it is not working. I
downloaded the file to C. I type:

cd C:\

So far, so good. The (zippied) file ubutuntu-8.04-desktop-i386.iso is
sitting in C:\. So I type:

md5sum ubutuntu-8.04-desktop-i386.iso

"No such file or directory."

Ah well. Cygwin does not seem to be a very newbie-friendly
application. "Help cd" offers one a starkly technical little
paragraph. Incidentally, how does one even go to the Desktop directory
(which lies at C:\Documents and Settings\Ben\Desktop for me) with
Cygwin? Whenever you put in a space, Cygwin seems to reject it.

- Ben