Re: Running fontforge.exe does nothing

On 06/25/2008, David Spector wrote:
Larry,

Thanks for the info. I think the maintainer of fontforge should have added it to the cygwin setup as a standard package, with the appropriate dependencies. That would have avoided the problem that I had (and more people in the future will probably have with installing fontforge on Windows).

Agreed. We encourage this as well. It helps eliminate confusion. And while we highly encourage folks packaging things for Cygwin to become a Cygwin maintainer so their offerrings become part of the distribution, some have chosen not to do this but to still package things in a setup- compatible way. While this is not ideal, it does make it easier for users to point 'setup.exe' to these other servers and install packages directly from these servers, just like any other mirror. If fontforge was packaged and served this way, it very likely would have been easier for you too.

Holliston, MA 01746