Re: Updating cygwin from a remote shell?

"G.W. Haywood" wrote:

> If there are any tips for a safer way of connecting to a Windows 2000
> server to do routine upgrades of Cygwin and other remote admin that I
> can't do using ssh, I'd be very happy to hear them.

If a reboot is allowable then you can use a tool like inuse.exe from the
MS Resource Kit to schedule the files for replacement on the next boot.
You could do a poor man's version of this that doesn't require a reboot
by writing a batch file to move/copy the inuse files and running it via
the built-in at.exe scheduler for 5 minutes in the future or whatever.
The batch file would have to take care to stop all cygwin services, do
the file operations, and then restart them.  This of course would be
rather brittle as missing some part of the upgrade would mean the
services might not start again so you'd need a safety net like a vnc
daemon running.

Brian