Re: Relation Between Mount System and The Registry?

Larry Hall (Cygwin) wrote:
> Sam Hanes wrote:
>>
>> Can someone explain to me when the registry keys in
>> "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin\mounts v2" and the same in HKCU
>> get read into the mount table? I can find the source for the mount
>> table itself (in "src/winsup/cygwin/mount.cc") but not where the
>> information from the registry is initially read in, or were it gets
>> written out when a new entry is added.
>
> Why do you care?  'mount' currently manipulates the registry but it won't
> come 1.7.0.  The use of the registry for 'mount' is an implementation
> detail.  If you're doing something that keys off of this, you may want
> to rethink your strategy.  You may be better off basing your logic on
> 'mount' as opposed to the keys and values in the registry that 'mount'
> manipulates.

Oh. I assume 1.7.0 is the one currently in CVS. That would explain why
I can't find the logic to write the mount registry keys in the CVS
sources. It's not there. Well, that's one less thing I have to think
about. Would you mind pointing me to where I should have found that?
Reading the ChangeLog in "src/winsup/cygwin" I can see a great many
changes from the process of moving over to the new fstab system, but I
assume there was an announcement of the change somewhere other than
cygwin-developers.

As for why I care, I'm looking through the CVS sources to see what
needs to be done to make a portable (run from USB key or similar)
version of Cygwin, and to familiarize myself with the inner workings
of Cygwin in general. The changes that I think are needed to make
Cygwin portable (that I've come up with so far; this is far from
comprehensive):

- Dynamic Calculation of Mountpoints
    * This seems to be done already in CVS, although to what extent I don't know
- Single User System
    * Stop using the username and domain from Windows.
    * Instead, use a single user/group, like "cygwin:cygwin"
    * Use a single homedir regardless of windows user, probably just "/home"
    * I did this by messing with /etc/profile, but it would be better
to change Cygwin itself to not care.
- Special Mountpoint for Root of Portable Drive (Optional)
    * Mount the USB key on something like "/portdrive" or "/cygdrive/portable"
    * This makes it so you can get to other things on the USB key
without knowing the drive letter
    * For example, I would like to symlink "/home/devel" to
"/cygdrive/portable/Devel/"

I was trying to work on the first one, but it seems that's been fixed
in CVS already.