Re: Updating cygwin from a remote shell?

Hi there,

Thanks, all, for the responses.

On Wed, 9 Jul 2008 Andrew DeFaria wrote:

> > rdesktop to connect to their Windows 2000 server and I'm not _very_
> > careful how I close down the rdesktop session then the server crashes.
>
> I've never seen this happen at all. By definition, any user application
> able to crash a system is a bug. You got a bug there. It should be fixed.

Agreed. :)

> > If there are any tips for a safer way of connecting to a Windows 2000
> > server to do routine upgrades of Cygwin and other remote admin that I
> > can't do using ssh, I'd be very happy to hear them.
>
> You could try VNC.

Thanks, I'll give it a try

> [...] RDP is nicer and much faster then VNC. VNC, however, works [...]

I'll be happy if it just does that. :)

> Then again, rdesktop crashing a server is odd. Is it actually
> dumping core?

Yes.  But I don't want to hijack this thread by going on to debug that
particular problem. :)  Actually I'm not sure that it's rdesktop itself
that's causing the crash.  It will crash if I do other things remotely
using rdesktop, such as paging rapidly through the system log using the
log viewer from 'administrative tools'.  It isn't something that I can
easily investigate, largely because I'd be lynched by an angry mob from
the welding shop.  FWIW I've never caused a crash using Cygwin+ssh, and
that's how I try to do most of what I need to do.

--

73,
Ged.