Problems with cygwin bash shell under NT Emacs

Hello,

I'm running a native win32 version emacs.

M-x shell invokes Cygwin's bash. So far, so good, everything seems to
work, i.e. almost everything.

Example 1:
Running  the Python interpreter under cygwin.bat works just fine,
but under bash in ntemacs the situation is different:

If I try to call the (cygqin-) Python interpreter with $ python, I
don't get the Python prompt >>>. The cursor simply moves one line
forward to the beginning of the line. No prompt, nothing.

Now typing  "2+2" and hitting Return, again, the cursor moves
forward.

Now something to choke on: an 'ö' (German Umlaut o)
Sure enough, my shell wakes up, here's the output:

$ python
2+2
  File "<stdin>", line 2
SyntaxError: Non-ASCII character '\xc3' in file <stdin> on line 2, but
no encoding declared; see http://www.python.org/peps/pep-0263.html for
details

Attached are the output from cygcheck -s -v -r, run under cygwin_bat
and in ntemacs.

rolf