Freeze with the letter "e"

Whenever I try to enter the letter "e", and only for "e" (other letters, "E"
and numbers are ok), Cygwin does not display the e, freezes, and begins to
gobble resources unless I close the window with the x. I copied cygcheck to
cygchck in Windows to be able to get the attachment file. The chronology:
5/27/08 Installed gnu Fortran Version 3.4.4 under Windows XP Pro SP2, Intel
Pentium 4; could not get NetCDF to work, but otherwise all is well.
7/11/08 Installed Cygwin 3.4.4, X11 and gnuplot; all is well
7/12/08 Installed gnu Fortran 4.3.0 under Cygwin; all is well.
Trying to install NetCDF 4.0, i.e. copy files to /usr/local,
try to compile netcdf test program; on starting Cygwin, get message, something like: "\r": command not found; then that goes away and freeze problem begins.
7/14/08 Realize problem has to do with "e"; send this email.
Please help.
Lou Umscheid