Re: packages

Lee D. Rothstein wrote:
Gary Johnson wrote:

> On 2008-07-18, r wrote:

 >> I'm new about cygwin, but I use from a lot SuSE and OpenSuSE
 >> can I install packages rpm from linux distributions on cygwin ?

> No. First off, Cygwin doesn't use Red Hat's package manager, it > uses its own package manager, setup.exe. Secondly, binaries built > for Linux will not run under Cygwin--the binary interfaces to the > operating system are totally different.

Er, what's the purpose, then, of 'rpm.exe' that can be installed
with 'setup.exe'?

Installing RPM source. Installing RPMs targeted for Windows or Cygwin, if someone has made some.

If "you" had a Cygwin-related/-dependent package, that
"you" wished to distribute to a group of users (say, >> 25),

What utility would you use to install this package?

Since you would require Cygwin, I would recommend packaging it to install with 'setup.exe'. That would make it easier for the users, since they are going to need Cygwin anyway. It would be a 1-stop install process.

The package would consist mostly of scripts -- bash, gawk, perl;
quite a few soft links, and some man pages, some documentation in
HTML format.

Would you use?:

* Make?
* Custom perl script?