Re: packages

On 2008-07-22, Lee D. Rothstein wrote:
> Gary Johnson wrote:
>
> > On 2008-07-18, r wrote:
>
> >> I'm new about cygwin, but I use from a lot SuSE and OpenSuSE
> >> can I install packages rpm from linux distributions on cygwin ?
>

> > No. First off, Cygwin doesn't use Red Hat's package manager, it
> > uses its own package manager, setup.exe.  Secondly, binaries built
> > for Linux will not run under Cygwin--the binary interfaces to the
> > operating system are totally different.
>
> Er, what's the purpose, then, of 'rpm.exe' that can be installed
> with 'setup.exe'?

I don't know.  It isn't to install Linux binaries on Cygwin, though.

> If "you" had a Cygwin-related/-dependent package, that
> "you" wished to distribute to a group of users (say, >> 25),
>
> What utility would you use to install this package?
>
> The package would consist mostly of scripts -- bash, gawk, perl;
> quite a few soft links, and some man pages, some documentation in
> HTML format.
>
> Would you use?:
>
> * Make?
> * Custom perl script?
> * Custom bash script?
> * Custom setup.ini & setup.exe?
> * Or what?

I would probably use make and put everything in a tar file, because
that's what I know how to use.  If I wanted the installer to handle
package dependencies, too, then I'd take the time to learn how to
build a Cygwin package.  It would depend a lot on the users and how
"turn key" the package had to be.

Regards,
Gary