Re: Problems with file permissions and cp when running on Vista

On Jul 29 08:49, Tom Quarendon wrote:
> Two issues as I see it.
> Firstly, cygwin doesn't appear to pick up that I have write access to the
> file README.txt. The getacl output below doesn't list Authenticated Users.
> I can't use vi to modify the file, but I can read the file using cat and so
> on.

You can use vi.  You just have to write back with w!

Corinna

> Secondly, cp takes a source file that I can read and copies it to a target
> file that I subsequently can't read. This seems inconsistent. Clearly
> cygwin is taking notice of the access control list as well as the posix
> permissions when doing something like cat, as the README.txt file has no

Cygwin doesn't care, actually.  When you open a file, either it works
or it doesn't.  vim checks the permission bits to show the [readonly]
text in the status line and marks it as readonly.  That doesn't mean
you can't write it if the Windows permissons allow it.

> posix permissions, but I can cat it. However cp doesn't copy that access
> control list information so the target file only gets a copy of the posix
> permissions.

cp only copies POSIX permissions.  This is consistent with POSIX
semantics which states that when copying a file the POSIX ACL isn't
copied as well.  Having file permissions set for "authenticated users"
but not for the actual owner is Win32 semantics.  There's no 1:1
translation.

Corinna

Red Hat