Re: Can't use special characters \n or \r

> jay3205 wrote on 30 July 2008 04:46:
>
>> I have a text file made in Windows, and I'm trying to replace all the
>> carriage returns with nothing. However, whenever I use \r or \n to
>> indicate >> a carriage return or newline in a grep or sed search string, it is treated
>> as a normal r and normal n. Anyone have any idea of what may be causing
>> this?

Yup.  You're not quoting the backslash to keep bash from interpreting
it. This command:

              sed -e s/\r//

will get rid of all 'r's.  This one:

              sed -e 's/\r//'

will get rid of carriage returns.

On Wed, Jul 30, 2008 at 5:28 AM, Dave Korn wrote:
>  Normal grep and sed don't speak C-style escape chars.

Actually, sed does:

$ od -c foo.txt
0000000   T   h   i   s       i   s       a       t   e   s   t   .  \r
0000020  \n
0000021
$ sed -e 's/\r//' foo.txt | od -c
0000000   T   h   i   s       i   s       a       t   e   s   t   .  \n
0000020

--
Mark J. Reed <markjreed@gmail.com>