Re: bash shell interface broken after install on Vista

Barry Gold wrote:
Larry Hall (Cygwin) wrote:
Barry Gold wrote:
Christopher Faylor wrote:
Commands which exit silently are usually caused by missing DLLs.
"cygcheck /bin/ls.exe" would tell you which DLL was missing and you could
install the missing packages.

I tried that. But cygcheck doesn't work either, for the same reason.

'cygcheck' is a Win32 app which doesn't rely on 'cygwin1.dll' or any of Cygwin's added features. If it won't work, then something in your system is inhibiting it. Perhaps you have <http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#BLODA>?

The problem seems to be that it can't run under the shell, because the shell is broken.

I ran it in a command window.

C:\cygwin\bin>cygcheck ./ls.exe
.\ls.exe
 .\cygwin1.dll
   C:\Windows\system32\ADVAPI32.DLL
     C:\Windows\system32\ntdll.dll
     C:\Windows\system32\KERNEL32.dll
     C:\Windows\system32\RPCRT4.dll
       C:\Windows\system32\Secur32.dll
 .\cygintl-8.dll
   .\cygiconv-2.dll

All of those exist.

Yep, that looks fine.

My wife went searching and found a recommendation to install cygwin for "myself only" instead of "all users', on VIsta, but I haven't been offered this option since my first install (if ever).

I doubt this would be a big issue but if you find something there, then report it. I'd still recommend going for the install for all and if necessary, installing as administrator to facilitate that as necessary. FWIW, this is always an option when installing, just like whether you want UNIX or DOS (shudder) files.

I hate Vista. And I'm not too fond of HP either, right now.

But I should note that I had no problems with cygwin on my previous (Win2K) machine, which also ran NAV and lots of other potentially dodgy apps.

Right.  Depends on the version of the dodgy app many times.  What's
clear from the above is that something is getting in the way of your
post install.  As Brian said in another message in this thread, if
they don't run, you don't get allot of bootstrapping done that adds
things like '/bin' to your path and sets up profile files, passwd
and group files, and the like.  So if you can't force this through
with 'setup.exe' in some way, you can go looking in '/etc/setup'
for the postinstall scripts to see which have run and which haven't.
But I'd stick it out with 'setup.exe' for the moment until you can't
get any further with it.  It can be a bit of a pain to do what 'setup.exe'
does manually, though if nothing else works, it can be a god-send (or
at least help clarify any issues).

-- Larry Hall http://www.rfk.com RFK Partners, Inc. (508) 893-9779 - RFK Office 216 Dalton Rd. (508) 893-9889 - FAX Holliston, MA 01746