Re: 1.7.0: File permissions: chmod u-x a.exe; chmod u+x a.exe says permission denied

On Aug 20 14:34, Oliver Wienand wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am having problems with file permission in Cygwin 1.7. The output of
> gcc, i.e. a.exe, is not executable by default. Also after granting
> full access to a file with ACL and removing the executable-bit with
> chmod I can not set the executable-bit again with chmod.
>
> Minimal testcase: touch a && cacls a /E /G `whoami`:F && chmod u-x a
> && chmod u+x a
> Result: chmod: Beim Setzen der Zugriffsrechte für ?a": Permission denied

That's a bug in Cygwin 1.7.0-28 where I screwed up user permissions.
Due to missing paranthesis in the code, the user has no rights to change
the permissions and DOS attributes on a file.  The missing execute
permissions don't really count anymore...

The fix requires two steps:

  - Update to Cygwin 1.7.0-29.
  - Either remove all files you created while using 1.7.0-28, or login
    with admin permissions and chmod all files with the desired permissions
    again.

Corinna

Red Hat