1.5.25: Can't Change User's Home Dir

Larry Hall wrote:
> Richard Plana wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I can't seem to change my user's HOME dir so that it uses
> > "/cygdrive/c/Documents and Settings/" as its prefix. I've changed
the
> > home dir entry in the /etc/passwd file, but each time I connect,
$HOME
> > is still set to using "/home/" (which is under Cygwin's root). I've
> > logged off all cygwin shells, rebooted my machine, but I can't get
the
> > configuration to take. The FAQ just talks of changing /etc/passwd
(which
> > I've done) and XP's HOME* variables (which don't seem to be used
> > anyway).
>
> '/etc/profile' lists the order of precedence for how Cygwin determines
> your home directory.  It says:
>
> Here is how HOME is set, in order of priority, when starting from
Windows
> 1) From existing HOME in the Windows environment, translated to a
Posix
> path
> 2) from /etc/passwd, if there is an entry with a non empty directory
field
> 3) from HOMEDRIVE/HOMEPATH
> 4) / (root)

That's exactly what I read in the FAQ, but my system doesn't seem to be
following that behavior.

1) Running "set HOME" in CMD.EXE gives the ff.:

HOMEDRIVE=H:
HOMEPATH=\
HOMESHARE=\\essrv07\rplana$

2) /etc/passwd contains a Home entry that's prefixed with
"/cygdrive/c/Documents and Settings/"

Neither seem to be the behavior that I'm getting. Everytime I log on, I
end up with a home dir of "/home/$LOGNAME" and I don't know anymore
where that is coming from nor how to change it.

> If that doesn't help, please read and follow the problem reporting
> guidelines found at the link below with your next posting on this
subject.

I've attached the output of cygcheck.
--

Richi Plana