Re: cygwin bash crashes on Win Serv 2008

On Oct 23 16:40, Dave Korn wrote:
> Corinna Vinschen wrote on 23 October 2008 15:09:
> > I seem to have missed the point here.  The point is, this `push %ebp'
> > instruction is the one crashing, producing a segmentation violation.
>
>   What's the underlying windows exception (i.e. before cygwin translates that
> into SEGV)?

STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION

> >>   This is, in theory, an entirely
> >> harmless operation.  The stack and register content before and after the
> >> crash are looking absolutely normal.  The push does neither operate on
> >> an invalid address nor on a page boundary, nor is it misaligned.  It's
> >> just a push to some arbitrary address within an existing stack page.
>
>   Only thing I can think of is "Not if %ss has been mucked around with it
> isn't".

Yeah, I heard about that.  But what is %ss doing in Windows and why
should it be messed up with TS?!?  And why are only Cygwin processes
affected, and then only some?

>   I'd use windbg on this, take a look at the exception record and selectors
> and stuff.

The exception record was a good hint (I don't know what you mean by
"selectors", sorry).  Unfortunately it puzzles me even more:

    ExceptionAddress: 00419d97 (image00400000+0x00019d97)
       ExceptionCode: c0000005 (Access violation)
      ExceptionFlags: 00000000
    NumberParameters: 2
       Parameter[0]: 00000008
       Parameter[1]: 00419d97
    Attempt to execute non-executable address 00419d97

Huh?  Why should this address (this application function) be
"non-executable", while it's executable when TS is not installed?

Could this have something to do with the executbale header gcc creates?
If so, maybe mingw apps are affected as well...

Thanks,
Corinna

Red Hat