Re: Apologies for multiple messages

Hi there,

On Fri, 24 Oct 2008 Herb Maeder wrote:

> Apologies to the list for getting the same message sent over and over

The only time this ever happened in my experience was when a client
company called me in to look at an installation of a product called
'Infinite Interchange'.  This was kind of mail gateway, which the
supplier had said was a mail server, but which was actually more like
a way of screwing with mailbox formats and messing up all the good
work people had been doing in the RFCs for the previous ten years.
Infinite Interchange was bundled with a mail client called 'ExpressIT'.

Thankfully Infinite Interchange no longer seems to be on sale, but
ExpressIT still lurks around.  I'd avoid them both.  In this case, the
same two megabyte message (it included an engineering drawing) from a
user at the client's site was being sent about twenty times per day to
a fairly large list of recipients.  This had been going on for about
two and a half years.  A number of the client's customers solved their
part of the problem by blacklisting the client's IPs.  Naturally the
client wasn't too happy that customers were refusing to accept mail.

The client's ISP was unable to help, some might have said useless.

When I was called in to figure out what was going on I switched off
the Microsoft server running Infinite Interchange, and replaced it
with a Linux box running Sendmail (plus a few milters).  I replaced
the ExpressIT mail client with Thunderbird.  I changed the nameserver
configurations so that the ISP's mail servers were no longer used.

Problem (and a whole host of others) solved.

--

73,
Ged.