Re: cygwin bash crashes on Win Serv 2008

FYI, Microsoft Professional Support EMEA didn't accept this problem as a
support case.  So, if nobody at Microsoft thinks this is a potential OS
problem and requires analyzing from the OS side, it will stay unfixed.

On Oct 23 20:53, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> On Oct 23 17:52, Dave Korn wrote:
> > Corinna Vinschen wrote on 23 October 2008 17:21:
> > >     Attempt to execute non-executable address 00419d97
> > >
> > > Huh?  Why should this address (this application function) be
> > > "non-executable", while it's executable when TS is not installed?
> >
> >   DEP?  ASLR?  SafeSEH?  As well as "dg" there are some other commands in
> > windbg that'll show you memory types and attributes.
>
> Huh!  It was DEP.  Apparently when installing TS, the default setting
> for DEP is switched from "Turn on DEP for essential Windows programs
> and services only" to "Turn on DEP for all programs and services
> [with execptions]".  I switched it back, rebooted, and now bash, grep
> and GDB work fine.

Apparently Server 2008 has DEP switched on by default.  I missed this
when testing but the MS support engineer told me.  Of course that
doesn't change the fact that bash/gdb/grep work fine with DEP switched
on as long as TS isn't installed...

Corinna

Red Hat