Re: cygwin 1.5.25-15: cwrsync 2.1.3 "hangs" when 80 mb of 100 gb data network folder is to be transmitted

On 11 Nov 2008 12:22:42 EST, Linus Hicks wrote:
> > So the question is what is wrong? I can't beleive that rsync can't handle
> > with such a big volume of data when it is necessary to transmit only a
> > small part of it.
> >
> > Any ideas and suggestions would be very much appreciated.
>
> This is probably not Cygwin specific, so I suggest you also check on
> the rsync mailing list.

Actually, it is quite likely that the problem is cygwin specific.  The
combination of cygwin-1.5 + sshd + rsync is known to have problems which
make rsync transfers hang.  I believe the problem is related to transfering
directories containing large number of files.

For instance, this hangs for me quite consistently (from some directory not
in /usr):

    rsync -va localhost:/usr/ usr.copy

See this thread for more details on the problem:

    http://www.sourceware.org/ml/cygwin/2006-04/msg00863.html

Basically the problem is rooted in the pipe implementation for cygwin-1.5.
So the good news it that this problem appears to be fixed in cygwin-1.7.

Options to address this issue are:

  1) Use the rsync daemon directly instead of over ssh.  See this page for
     more information the hang issue and how to setup rsyncd (though this
     approach does have the drawback of needing server side configuration
     files):

       http://marc-abramowitz.com/archives/2007/10/14/solving-rsync-hangs-with-cygwin/

  2) Try cygwin-1.7, though beware it has not been released yet.

Herb.