Re: Cygwin Everyone group permissions and Vista "shared files" (*not* shared folders)

Barry Kelly wrote:
Larry Hall (Cygwin) wrote:

Barry Kelly wrote:
Corinna Vinschen wrote:

I, for one, use Cygwin not primarily as a POSIX emulation layer, but as
my main Windows user interface. IMHO in this situation, being posixly
correct is a handicap that Cygwin could do without, at the user's
choice.
So what about the "nontsec" option doesn't address your need then?

It disables NT ACL manipulation via chmod, chown and chgrp.

Understood. But this is allowed under SUSV3. Cygwin has getfacl/setfacl to manipulate ACLs directly, pretty much like cacls. But what you're proposing, I believe, is permissible under SUSV3 too for chmod and friends. It just comes down to SHTDI <http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#SHTDI>. It's also fair to say that this is not a primary goal of Cygwin so it's unlikely to be a priority with the Cygwin development team. If this is a priority to you, then it will probably happen sooner if you jump in and provide some patches. That's not an order (could I actually do that? ;-) ) I just wanted to properly set your expectations for this. :-)

Holliston, MA 01746