Re: Cygwin Everyone group permissions and Vista "shared files" (*not* shared folders)

On Nov 13 15:28, Larry Hall (Cygwin) wrote:
> Barry Kelly wrote:
>> Larry Hall (Cygwin) wrote:

>>> So what about the "nontsec" option doesn't address your need then?
>> It disables NT ACL manipulation via chmod, chown and chgrp.
>
> Understood.  But this is allowed under SUSV3.  Cygwin has getfacl/setfacl

Erm... I'm not sure what SUSv3 has to do with that.

I really don't like the idea to make excemptions just for a small part
of the harddisk which gets mistreated by Microsoft.  Don't do Cygwin
stuff in your Windows home dir, create a Cygwin specific home dir
instead.

If that's not feasible, switch off ntsec and you get standard Windows
permissions.  If the standard Windows permissions are not as you need
them, don't rely on Cygwin's chown/chmod. rather change the inheritence
settings of the parent directory according to your needs.  Then you get
the required permissions right from the start.  Nothing against using
chown/chmod in some border cases, Berry, but in your situation they are
just a workaround for bad permission settings.

Corinna

Red Hat