Re: Cygwin sshd key auth doesn't work (seteuid 500: Permission denied)

TomÃs NÃÃez wrote:
Hi

I am trying to connect to a Cygwin sshd server using key authentication, but I can't. When I use password authentication, it works great, but I need to run some unattended processes, so key auth is mandatory.

When I try to connect, I get that:
user@workstation:~/.ssh$ ssh administrator@server -o

<snip>

sshd: PID 8272: fatal: seteuid 500: Permission denied.

Did you configure your SSH installation with ssh-host-config? How about your user with ssh-user-config?

When I run ssh daemon as a user, in order to debug, I get that:
user@server ~/$ /usr/sbin/sshd.exe -d

Ugh! This suggests that you have not read OpenSSH readme in /usr/share/doc/Cygwin. You can't do this without screwing up all the permissions on various directories and files that SSH checks the permissions of.

debug1: temporarily_use_uid: 500/513 (e=400/401)
seteuid 500: Permission denied
debug1: do_cleanup

I've also tried to run sshd with strace, but I've found nothing (logs are 412KB, that's why I don't attach them).

Does anyone use key auth with cygwin sshd server?

Of course!

Any hint about this issue?

Sure. See the problem reporting guidelines below. You've told us what you're having problems with and it's obvious that you misunderstand what's necessary to get pubkey authentication to switch users but what's not clear is how you've set this up, what you're working with, and what your intentions are. I'd recommend that you review the docs and email archives to come up to speed. Then, if you're still having problems, contact the list again with a follow-up problem report.

Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html

Holliston, MA 01746