Re: 1.7 - noacl for cygdrive

> Rob, many thanks for your reply.
> So it's not just me having massive problems with the NT permissions which
are
> being messed up by Cygwin tools like rsync. Actually most Cygwin users
should
> see these problems, I guess, because Windows 2000 and XP use NTFS.
> I can't use rsync anymore, because the permissions of the destination are
all wrong after rsync resets them... Oh what a pity!

Rsync will work fine with 1.5.25.  Just set the global NTSEC (see
http://www.cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/ntsec.html).  You have to set this
variable in your system environment so that any process spawned gets it,
especially if you are running rsync as a service.  If you are scripting it,
add it in your cmd file.

To set it globally, Right-click on My Computer, choose properties, click
Advanced, Click environment variables and click New, add CYGWIN with a value
of NONTSEC.  This causes cygwin to ignore all permissions and use the
Windows assigned default values.  I also recommend you look at cwrsync by
Tev.  He has created an install package that works very well
(http://www.itefix.no/i2/cwrsync).

> The fstab doesn't seem to work for me. You mentioned that you mount. How
could I verify > that my Cygwin does mount, too? Do you have to use a
special
> command in order to mount in Cygwin?
> I just run a small bash script which uses rsync with the /cygdrive/c/ etc
> drive syntax. Is this mounting?
> Could you please post an example of how your fstab looks like? Thanks.
> My Cygwin/etc/fstab looks like this:
>     none /cygdrive cygdrive user,noacl,posix=0 0 0

> But rsync still resets all my NT permissions.

Fstab will only work with these options under 1.7.  The noacl option was
added in 1.7.  Example entry in fstab would be

D:\ /mnt ntfs noacl,posix=0,user 0 0

which assigns drive D:\ to /mnt.  Then in a bash script you would reference
/mnt.  Also, in the rsyncd.conf file, you would reference a directory as
/mnt/backup01 as the path (e.g. path = /mnt/backup01).  Under 1.5 you do not
need to worry about any of this since the global NONTSEC fixes the issues.
Under 1.7 there is no global option like NONTSEC.

Rob