RE: Setup wants to revert my upgrade of Emacs

Jonathan Ferro wrote on Friday, November 21, 2008 7:05 AM::

> Casual browsing recently revealed that one of my all-time favorite
> software packages, Emacs Calc, has returned to active maintenance and
> is part of the GNU Emacs distribution.  My thought: why does my
> Cygwin installation not have it?
>
> Setup run 1: Fiddling with Setup shows that I can turn all three of
> emacs, emacs-el, and emacs-X11 to "22.1-3" instead of "21.2-13".
> Score!
> Problem: 21.2-13 is uninstalled and nothing is installed.

It's too late now, but you can usually find out why by checking the
setup log files.

> Setup run 2: I can turn all three packages to "22.1-3" and *manually
> check* the binary box, something I've never had to do manually
> before.
> This correctly installs all 3 packages, for now.
>
> Setup run 3: When rerunning Setup to look at something else,
> fortunately I am in the habit of always looking at the "Partial" view
> before hitting Next, and I see that it has queued up all three
> packages to be reinstalled to version "21.2-13".
> I have canceled out of that Setup session, but I'd like to figure out
> how to get my choice to "stick".
>
> Am I asking in the right place, regarding the dependency information
> for the emacs package?
> Should this be regarded as a general problem?  (I.e., is there some
> technical or policy issue preventing 22.1-3 from being listed as the
> "new" version?)
> Is there something I can do to remove these packages from the
> maintenance upgrade list in my installation for now, so that I can
> stick with my chosen version?

The problem is that the current emacs is 21.2 (see the setup.ini in your
package download directory).  The 22.1 version is experimental ([test]).
Setup defaults to "upgrading" to the current stable version, which
unfortunately means it tries to downgrade any experimental packages.
This is one of the costs of living on the bleeding edge (yes, I know 22
has been out a while now)

Although your choice won't stick, you can click on the emacs version
number in setup until it shows "Keep" to prevent it downgrading.

Phil
--

This email has been scanned by Ascribe PLC using Microsoft Antigen for Exchange.