Re: Bash process hangs around forever after ssh disconnect

Thorsten Kampe wrote:
That's the Windows/Cygwin emulation of a Unix fork. Should be the same as on Linux.

I know that. I was pointing out that sshd goes away as expected but bash does not.

Please read again what I wrote and try to understand it.

Ok, I have re-read it and don't find anything that I failed to understand. Even on the 2nd or 3rd readings.

In all likelihood you do NOT want sshd to kill your shell because you loose connection for a while. Let me repeat: you do NOT want that.

Really? Should I call Red Hat, SUSE, Debian and Ubuntu and all the others and tell them they've been doing it wrong all these years? That's *exactly* how every Linux I've ever used works.

You want the ability to reconnect to that session once the physical connection is reestablished. "screen" gives you that ability.

I know about "screen". I use it regularly. But screen is off-topic. Unless there is some way screen can re-connect to a dangling bash session; I thought screen could only re-connect to screen. If it has that ability I'd like to be educated to it.

Some days ago I brought up a GUI session to a remote W2k3 box, ran task manager and almost fell out of my chair to see bash.exe listed nearly a dozen times. I thought the thing had been rooted or something.

Surely there is some actual solution to this. It works splendidly on Linux. And when I am doing something critical that doesn't need to be interrupted, then our mutual friend "screen" is always there waiting.

Can anyone offer some help? Please?

Thanks,
Michael