LD_LIBRARY_PATH

When I compile & build for my Linux installation, library files and shared
objects go to /usr/lib/

If I then run an executable (from /usr/bin/) it will automatically find the
shared objects because it expects them to be in /usr/lib/.  This isn't
happening for Cygwin and I'm finding that I need to copy the shared
objects into /usr/bin/

After googling, I found out that I might be able to set an envinronment
variable called LD_LIBRARY_PATH.  So I set it up and tried again - but
unfortunately, without success...  :-(

The only options I've tried so far are LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/bin and
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/bin/ (i.e. with and without a trailing forward slash).
Is there anything else I could try?

Thanks,

John