Re: open() and named pipes

On Wed, Nov 26, 2008 at 03:50:52PM +0100, Enrico Forestieri wrote:
>According to
>http://www.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/000095399/functions/open.html
>the open() function shall fail and sets errno to ENXIO if
>O_WRONLY | O_NONBLOCK is set, the named file is a FIFO, and no
>process has the file open for reading.
>
>This is not the case on Cygwin, as demonstrated by the attached
>test case. I get "This should not happen.", while the same program
>outputs "No process is reading from the other end." on both Linux
>and Solaris.

This should be fixed in the current snapshot.  However, be aware that
snapshots come from the 1.7.x trunk rather than the 1.5.x
soon-to-be-deprecated release.  So, if you try the snapshot, you'll need
to create an initial /etc/fstab or run http://cygwin.com/setup-1.7.exe
to do that for you.  Running setup-1.7 will likely update your system to
the beta version of cygwin 1.7 so other packages on your system to the
beta 1.7 versions.

Once you have updated to 1.7 then you will have to then install the
newer snapshot at:

http://cygwin.com/snapshots/

Thanks for the simple test case (tm).

cgf