Re: all files seems to be owned by the actual user

Brian Dessent wrote:

> Matthias Meyer wrote:
>
>> I've tried also ntsec, binmode and "".
>
> Why are you doing these things?  Are you following somebody's "guide"?
> Please tell them that they are spreading useless information if that is
> the case.  ntsec is the default.  binmode is the default and is
> irrelevant for files anyway.  So "" is the same as "ntsec binmode", and
> you should not need to set CYGWIN at all in general unless there is a
> *specific* reason that calls for it.
>
>> All of this three list the true file owner with "ls -anlh".
>> But as before, rsync -a create the files with the user who runs the rsync
>> command. Also rsync -aA with or without --numeric-ids have this
>> behaviour.
>>
>> I would believe that I have a very stupid failure. I can not believe that
>> it is not possible to backup and restore the file owner.
>
> rsync only tries to set the owner when it thinks it has the privilege to
> do so -- on most POSIX systems this means being the superuser, uid=0.
> This check in rsync is less than useful on Cygwin where privileges work
> differently.  Thankfully they provide an override in the form of the
> --super switch.
>
> Brian

Thanks Brian,
Maybee I am a little bit helpless ;-)
Please can you say what I have to do?
Should rsync -a --super /cygdrive/c/data /cygdrive/c/backup do the job what
I want?

Is there a possibility to backup the files from different users (e.g. with
rsync) and restore them with the same owner and permissions which they have
at backup time?

Thanks in advance
Matthias
--