Re: SSH V.5.1 with Cygwin1.dll 1.7.0(0 .189/5/3) 2008-12-09: Very large logon times ...

Hello, Corinna,

cygwin-owner@cygwin.com schrieb am 16.12.2008 11:08:05:

> Hello?  Did you read all of my previous mail?
>

> Please, don't http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#TOFU

Yes, I read and understand it now!

> On Dec 16 09:39, Carsten.Porzler wrote:
> > Hello, Corinna,
> >
> > 1. It only takes 3 secs on your machine, but do you logon with an
Active
> > Directory user?
>
> Yes, against a 2K8 domain server.  Additionally, it doesn't make any
> difference whether the user is logged on locally or not.

It could be interesting, if you let it run against a Win2003 server.

> > 2. The problem occours on cygwin environments after the 2008-06-18
> > version! I recognized the behaviour on all of our machines I tested
on.
> > Until cygwin 2008-06-18 it works fine, on versions after it, the
problem
> > occurs.
>
> After 2008-06-18 (mainly on 2008-07-09) I changed the code which
> verifies user tokens and the code which creates the user token
> information (groups and privileges) when using NtCreateToken or
> cyglsa.dll.  This code changes were a result of testing password and
> public key authentication against the 2K8 AD controller extensively.
> The old code was wrong in a way which could screw up password
> authentication entirely and could result in crippled group and
> privilege lists when using public key auth.
>
> I'm quite confident that the new code is much more correct than the
> old code.

Nice, if the code is more correct than before. But we have the problem
with the large logon times, yet. I took the cygwin version from
2009-01-03!

> > 3. Unfortunately I can't debug the problem, because I am not a
software
> > developer. I can analyze the behaviour of software very exactly, but
> > debugging is not my area. I am not experienced enought and it is too
time
> > consuming. I am a system administrator.
>
> And you don't have a developer in-house who could help?
>
> I can't reproduce the problem, neither logging in on a domain member
> machine, nor on the domain controller.  If you want to find out where
> the time is wasted, we would need some figures.  If you can set yourself
> up to build the Cygwin DLL and then add some debugging statements at
> some places I tell you, we could probably figure out what takes so long
> in your environment.

I just compiled the cygwin sources from the latest snapshot for testing.
It seems to be working...

So, please tell me the debugging statements I have to insert into the
source code to figure out where the logon process takes the time.

> > 4. Actually I have watched the pipe access on a system running cygwin
of
> > 2008-09-12. There are exact the pipe accesses I reported before
> > (\\<domaincontroller>\PIPE\samr, \\<domaincontroller>\PIPE\lsarpc).
Many
> > of the accesses has done until the logon process finished.
>
> So it's probably related to the sec_auth.cc changes I explaind above.
>
> > If I see all the reported effects, I have to conclude that something
basic
> > change after the cygwin version of 2008-06-18!
> >
> > I do not believe that the reason for the problems are based on our
Windows
> > enviroment, because all regular Windows logons and the cygwin logons
> > recent to version of 2008-06-18 (inclusive) work fine!
>
> What a surprise.  It only occurs in your environment right now, though.
>
> Again, Please don't http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#TOFU
>

> Corinna
>
> --
> Cygwin Project Co-Leader          cygwin AT cygwin DOT com
> Red Hat
>
> --

Thanks a lot in advance and best regards

Carsten Porzler