Re: MinTTY "vs" rxvt (was Re: MinTTY 0.3.3)

Charles Wilson wrote:
Christopher Faylor wrote:
If so, should we consider deprecating rxvt in
favor of MinTTY when MinTTY becomes a real package?

If not, there is no harm in keeping two packages in the distribution.  I
was just trying to lighten your load if you were interested.

I'd lean toward keeping both in the distro

Same here.

(mainly because I'd hate to
see a never-ending flood of "where'd rxvt go?" queries. That'd be more
of a pain than the relatively infrequent updates that rxvt gets).

And I'd be dreading the inevitable demands to implement every single feature and option that rxvt provides.

You mean like another setup.exe pane (or option in an existing pane) to
select the terminal that should be started by the "default" Cygwin link
in the Start Menu?  That's an interesting idea...

How about just providing Start Menu shortcuts for all installed terminals in a "Cygwin" folder, much like Yaakov has done in MinTTY's cygports package? The user could always copy them to more easily accessible places as needed, or just rely on the recently-used list.

Or just switch rxvt to the regular X11 version w/o all the libW11 hackery?

Bypassing the X protocol by implementing Xlib directly on Win32 does seem rather a good idea in principle at least. How come it hasn't been used more widely?

Andy