Re: rm seems to fail

On Tue, Jan 13, 2009 at 2:52 PM, greenup wrote:
> your perl test was a nice try; but it also did not remove the file,
> which is revealing.

I should have included a return code check:

perl -e 'unlink("goo/foo") or die $!'

I suspect that will still run silently without removing the file,
indicating that the problem is indeed in the unlink(2) system call.
Which *should* succeed in any case; unlink() doesn't care about the
permissions of the target file, only of the directory containing it.

I see your original message confirmed that you were running Cygwin's
rm, btw; sorry for the extra hoop-jumping there.

So at this point I'm at a loss.  I'm running the same version of
Cygwin (though on Vista, not XP) on the same type of filesystem (NTFS)
and not seeing the issue.  Is there any way this could be
BLODA-induced?

 --
Mark J. Reed <markjreed@gmail.com>