Re: fetchmail pops up console windows

Gary Johnson wrote:
On 2009-01-13, Jason Tishler wrote:
Gary,

On 2009-01-13, Jason Tishler wrote:
FWIW, I don't have this problem when running fetchmail as a service.
I saw that in an earlier post and tried to follow the instructions in
/usr/share/doc/Cygwin/fetchmail-6.3.9.README, but I get this result:

[snip]

    $ cygrunsrv -S fetchmail
    cygrunsrv: Error starting a service: StartService:  Win32 error 1069:
    The service did not start due to a logon failure.

I have both cron and sshd running as services, so that much works,
but they may be running as the system user (whatever it's called).
I don't know how to diagnose this sort of failure.
Did you heed the following from the README?

    o the $USERDOMAIN\\$USERNAME account must have the "Log on as a
      service" user right for Cygwin fetchmail to start as a NT service

I heeded it in the sense that I read it and understood that it might be the problem. I did go searching in the Control Panel for likely utilities, but I couldn't find anything in User Accounts or anywhere else that would let me set user rights or that even told me what they were. I did not search Windows Help and Support. That sort of cluelessness was meant to be implicit in the statement, "I don't know how to diagnose this sort of failure," but I suppose I should have been more clear.

So how does one set that right?

'/usr/share/csih/cygwin-service-installation-helper.sh' has this:

editrights -u "${user}" -t SeServiceLogonRight

Try that, substituting the appropriate user for your situation and
Windows version.

Holliston, MA 01746