Re: How do I shut down Cygwin cleanly?

johunter@postoffice.utas.edu.au wrote:
I can find no recent discussion of how to cleanly shut down Cygwin - by
this I mean shutting down all Cygwin processes, but not the Windows
operating system (in my case XP). Not cleanly shutting down Cygwin
processes tends to invoke Windows error messages on starting up Cygwin (I use the X startup script startxwin.bat) and sometimes a failure to
generate an X-window from startxwin.bat (which then has to be called
again - generally successfully). "Shutting down" Cygwin by just closing
all Cygwin windows does not seem to be a satisfactory option - other
things are clearly going on in the background.

If your question really is directed just at Cygwin-X, you're probably better off sending it to the cygwin-xfree list. If you're experiencing issues beyond that of X, then it would be helpful to anyone here who can help to list those issues.

Holliston, MA 01746