Re: How do I shut down Cygwin cleanly?

On Thu, Jan 15, 2009 at 10:37:09AM +1100, john.hunter@utas.edu.au wrote:

>Thanks Larry, but I'm loath to waste space on this and other lists, and also
>people's time by listing any of the knock-on effects of not terminating all
>Cygwin processes (and resetting locks etc.) prior to firing up Cygwin again -
>it seems reasonable to me that these effects would exist (I've experienced
>them) but it also seems largely irrelevant to my present question to discuss
>them. This is not a bug report - it is a "howto" request.
>
>So I'll summarise my original post into a single question:
>
>When running the latest version of Cygwin on Windows XP, what is the best simple
>way of terminating all Cygwin processes, and resetting XP to effectively the
>same state as it was before Cygwin was started?

Cygwin processes are just windows processes and they are diverse.  If
you want to stop a running process you use whatever mechanism that
process requires for shutdown.  There is no one method to properly shut
down a process on either Windows, Cygwin, or Linux.

If you want to use a brute force technique then you could "kill ; kill -9"
every process that you see by running "ps".  That could have all sorts
of unpleasant side-effects, however.

To summarize:  There is no one method to accomplish what you seem to
be asking.

cgf