Re: setup.exe 2.573.2.3 signature failure

On Fri, Jan 16, 2009 at 3:31 PM, Larry Hall (Cygwin)
<reply-to-list-only-lh@cygwin.com> wrote:
> George R Nelson wrote:
>>
>> As a newcomer to cygwin, my attempts to download from ctgwin.com or a
>> number of mirror sites all failed with signature errors. WHy do I get
>> this problem? The error I get is:
>>
>> Setup.ini signature http://cygwin.com/setup.bz2.sig from
>> http//cygwin.com failed to verify.
>>
>> I have managed to download cygwin using the setup.exe from redhat.
>
> So what were you downloading it with before?  'setup.exe' is the
> prescribed way to download (for installation) and/or install.  If you
> want a mirror, you want to use another tool but barring that,
> stick with 'setup.exe'.

I downloaded setup.exe from the cygwin site - my apologies as I
presumed that was assumed. This failed as described with the signature
error. I then downloaded setup.exe from the Redhat site and that
worked on the Redhat site. The setup.exe from Cygwin did not work on
the Redhat site or any of the mirrors I tried. Since I had no idea how
to select a site from the list of sites I had added, I wasn't able to
check if the Redhat setup.exe worked on other systems. It was only
while making this request that it occurred to me that I might be able
to select one from the list by highlighting it.

>> On a related topic, is there any way to change the URL for the
>> download? Or do you just add download sites then highlight the one you
>> wish to use?
>
> There are plenty of download sites in the list to choose from.  But if
> you want another one not listed, you can add it by typing it into the
> edit control below the list and clicking "Add".  Then you can select it
> from the list.  You can select up to 4 from the list.

The setup.exe I downloaded had an empty download list. I added
cygwin.com and got the error described. I then added a mirror from the
list on the ctgwin site and that too produced the same error. Likewise
any mirror I picked from the site displayed the same signature error.
The Redhat setup.exe had their own site added to the list already.

>> Finally, I am trying to build some C sources using cygwin but the
>> build fails as it is not finding some libraries: libsocket.a, libnsl.a
>> and libxnet.a. I've searched both the package lists and the installed
>> libraries without success. I am sure that the functions defined in
>> these libraries do exist in the cygwin distribution but may be in
>> differently named libraries. Can anybody help?
>
> Not significantly with that description.  I'd recommend reading the
> problem reporting guidelines and trying again if you're still having
> problems.  The guidelines can be found at the link below.

I have read the submission guidlines and the installation
documentation as well as searching the FAQ before submitting. I could
find no details on the steps carried out by setup.exe or any
explanation of the error I was getting. I have read the relevant
portions of the user guide and all other links that I could follow
from the initial description of how to get cygwin but could find
nothing that described how to select a URL from the list that I had
created.