make extremely slow on 64bit Windows

Hi,

Since I installed Windows 64 bits on a new PC, I found out that 'make' now runs about 8 times slower than on Windows 32bits (not the compiler, only the time 'make' takes to spawn the compiler). The speed degradation seems to be related to the spawning of new processes. For example, if I make a target that only calls 'echo' 20 times (instead of compiling), it takes about 3-4 secs, so almost 200ms per call. And I get the same result if I replace 'echo' by any other call.

Is it a known fact that process spawning (or maybe shell spawning) is so much slower on 64 bits? I've been looking in the mailing-lists and on the net but I didn't find any clear answer to that question.

What could I do to speed up 'make'?

Jasmin