Re: Windows Mobile?

On Fri, 20 Feb 2009 13:57:49 +0000, Dave Korn
<dave.korn.cygwin@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Vincent R. wrote:
>> On Fri, 20 Feb 2009 11:20:41 -0000, "Harold Fuchs" wrote:
>>> Are there any plans to port Cygwin to Windows Mobile? Dates?
>
>   Not that I know of.
>
>>> If not, I'd be interested to know why.
>
>   Well, the reason I wasn't planning to do it is because I don't ever use
> Windows Mobile.  I can't speak for anyone else of course.
>
>> You can already use cegcc, don't see the point to port cygwin.
>
>   Huh?  You can already use MinGW on ordinary windows, but there was a
>   point
> in writing Cygwin in the first place.  Neither cegcc nor MinGW give you a
> Posix API and environment; that's what Cygwin does on non-mobile Windows,
> and
> that's what would be the point of porting it to Mobile Windows.  Am I
> missing
> something here?

Still don't understand because cegcc provides you with POSIX API!
And what would mean to port cygwin on Windows Mobile, does it mean you want
a terminal with a compiler running directly on the device ?

You need to know that cegcc is actually a common name for two different
toolchains

cegcc = POSIX API + newlib libc
mingw32ce = mingw for wince : native API + native libc

To say it differently :
cegcc = cygwin for wince
mingw32ce = mingw for wince

But maybe I am the one missing something ?