Re: special name for vss shadow copy device?

On Feb 25 19:20, Greg Freemyer wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 6:01 PM, Larry Hall (Cygwin)
> <reply-to-list-only-lh@cygwin.com> wrote:
> > Greg Freemyer wrote:
> > <snip>
> >
> >> Time to experiment with Cygwin 1.7
> >>
> >> I know the whole package is still considered test. ?How stable is the
> >> actual dll(s). ?Especially as relates to this type of functionality.

The DLL is quite stable but there are certainly some bugs as well.

> I tried the "dosdev" trick from one of the links to mount the snapshot
> as V:.  Apparently that is a XP only trick.  Or at least Vista does
> not have it.
>
> From the Vista command prompt I can do:
> mklink /d C:\shadow_copy21 \\?\GLOBALROOT\Device\HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy21\
>
> and then cd into that directory and see my old snapshot data.  I can
> also see it from the Vista file explorer.
>
> From cygwin's shell if I try to do so I get:
> $ cd /cygdrive/c/shadow_copy21
> bash: cd: /cygdrive/c/shadow_copy21: No such file or directory

If the path really exists on the native NT level, that should work.
If it's just faked one way or another, Cygwin has no way to use that
path.  I never tried anything with VSS.  I'll have a look what happens
on my Vista machine.

Corinna

Red Hat