Re: rsync hanging on Access MDB file

Hello Greg,

* On Tue, Mar 03, 2009 at 10:20:52AM -0500 Greg Freemyer wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 3, 2009 at 3:36 AM, Spiro Trikaliotis
> <XXXXXXXXX@spiro.trikaliotis.net> wrote:

Please do not cite mail addresses!

> > Thus, can you really rule out that noone else is accessing this file
> > while rsync is taking place? My experience with Access is rather old
> > (Access 1.1 and 2.0, some 15 years ago), but for these ancient versions,
> > every time someone accesses this database, he opens the .mdb file
> > himself in a shared manner. Thus, even if nothing is running on the
> > server, there might be some remote user that is still accessing the DB.
[...]
> The above is exactly why VSS was created by Microsoft.

Unfortunately, if you take a shadow copy of an open file, you might end
with a correctly copied (or rsync'ed) file which is broken. You must be
sure that noone is accessing the file at the moment you take the shadow
copy.

Of course, this operation can limit the time span you have to make sure
noone is accessing the file. Here, you are right.

Regards,
Spiro.

--
Spiro R. Trikaliotis                              http://opencbm.sf.net/